HOME     PORTFOLIO    CONTACT                       

Saturday, November 7, 2009

[The Under Achiever Blues]

So they say the choices that you make today will affect your life in the future...how true that statement is... I made the choice to step out of the realm of ordinary into the life of extraordinary, to stop dealing with ordinary people and an ordinary life and to become something more...But I can't fully succeed at that until the mistakes I've made in the past catch up with me. I'm sure you're wondering what I mean...

Last night I went to my High School Commencement, proud of my accomplishments I proudly made my way to the stage to receive my diploma. I sat down staring at this envelope thinking, this is it. Soon after, they began to announce special recognitions for those students who got 80% and over and 90% and over. They started calling students for various scholarships and awards for over achieving and becoming more than they were. And soon my "regular diploma" felt like utter crap. I didn't receive any awards, never got and special recognitions for outstanding works, that's because I never tried for them. I was never one to be a school person and try to be more than I could be, I never cared for any of that. I watched all these proud students receiving awards and being hailed by parents, teachers and the government representative of Canada and thought to myself, "I should have striven for excellence, I could have been greater than any of these guys". But alas I made the choice to not care and hope that I "just pass" and now I sit here typing these words and looking at what is now I feel to be a tissue paper called a diploma.

Don't get me wrong I am damn proud of my tissue paper, I worked hard for it, and it will proudly hang on my mothers wall. LOL

I guess all I'm saying is be better in all that you do. It's great to live in the now but be aware of the repercussions for the future. For not working harder in high school, my punishment was to sit through an hour and a half of students receiving awards for the hard work they did and me getting smaller and smaller in my chair wondering to myself, damn maybe if I volunteered at that half way house I could be getting an award right about now. Then again it's never to late...

No comments:

Post a Comment